April 20, 2015

RECENTLY WATCHED / SPRING 2015

recently watched films

The Vilnius Film Festival ended pretty much a month ago, but I feel like only know I placed all my memories into the places. I've mentioned that being a volunteer there was an absolutely amazing, mind blowing and letting me grow as a person experience but even more, I got to watch as many movies as I wanted. The only sad thing is that there is not enough time in the day to do everything you want, so in a week time I watched 13 films. This is pretty good, I'd say and I saw some bloody amazing ones and I think it's really worth sharing them with you!

Birdman

The first movie I saw in the festival but one that definitely left an impression. It's a story about an older man, the Broadway star who is trying to find his way in the show world. I'm sure many of you have already heard about it as it won the Oscar for the best film this year and if you haven't seen it, do it! 
I loved the camera work, how it let us see the behind the scenes and made us a feel like a little part of Broadway. It shows so well how the lines between being a real person and actor intertwine, how the real person fades away and you seem to begin to mistake who you really are. But then again, it's probably difficult to find the line between the real world and the world that you create with the new characters you play.

What we do in the shadows

This is a wonderful comedy. It's a European film, so it's quite different from the Holywood ones but it's amazing. I didn't expect to like a film created like a documentary about the vampires in the modern world. I mean yes, it sounds bizarre and it's a strange film but it's really funny, everyone was laughing out loud. And no, it doesn't look anything like Twilight but there is quite a lot of blood involved because you know, vampires.

Sangaile

It's a Lithuanian film and I'm proud to say this because it's not that often when Lithuanian films are really good and pleasant to watch. It's a coming of age story and the two main characters are discovering the world and exploring the possibilities of the relationship world. It's esthetically really beautiful and the actors are gorgeous as well (the main girl became the best actress in Lithuania this year). I've also got to take care of the director and two members of the team at the festival and they are the nicest people. I don't know when it's going to be possible to see this film and where, as it's still traveling through festivals, but if you ever get the chance, go see it!

Gemma Bovery

I watched in on Sunday early in the morning and it was a perfect film for that time. It's a French film and it's really pleasant to watch. It's tied with the literature a lot and the surroundings are really beautiful as well. It was a perfect film for me to practice my French a little as the main girl is arriving in France from England, so her accent was really easy to follow. It's a lighthearted film with a couple of episodes of drama threw in and a little bit of comedy.

Advanced Style

This is a movie directed by Lithuanian girl living in New York. It's a documentary based on a blog about older stylish women on the streets. I love the idea of it, this blog, and a film shows that elderly people can be stylish, beautiful and interesting and it makes these years a lot less scary. We definitely do not get to see people looking like this at that age here in Lithuania, but I love the fact that out there people don't stop living once they reach the certain age. These women are so full of live even though they are in their 70's or 80's. It's definitely inspiring and moving. 

Which movies have you been loving lately?


post signature

2 comments :

  1. I feel i've lived under a rock, i haven't watched movies lately, this list sounds great. i'm going to save it for later

    x,Abril

    The Color Palette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laukiu, kai lietuviškuose kino teatruose pasirodys "Sangailė". :)
    O iš paskutinių didžiausią įspūdį palikusių filmų yra Kino pavasario atidarymo filmas, Xaviero Dolano "Mommy" ir Eurekos festivalio metu pažiūrėtas "I Origins". :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello beautiful! Thank You so much for Your comment, I appreciate it very very much!

1 2 3